Now On Twitter @MEM_Lagniappe

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving Week

Its that time of year again...cooler weather, turkey, wine, football, horse racing, family and friends. What more could anyone want?

Turkey day will be spent in the blossoming metropolis of Slidell. The standard Thanksgiving menu will be in place, along with family favorites. While getting fatter and drinking good wine, I will watch at least 2 NFL games featuring Dallas and Detroit. My evening hours will be spent with friends at homes or at one of Slidell many watering holes.

A some what new family tradition will be renewed on Friday. I'm not talking about waking up at the wee hours of the morning to save $5 on a Tickle Me Elmo or to get a free spatula with the purchase of a $500 blender. You will find me and my family at the New Orleans Fair Grounds for day two of the 2006-2007 horse racing season. I can't wait to suck down a Bloody Mary or two, while going big with my $2 across the board bets. Heck, I might even hit a quinella.

On a sad note, my Saturday trip to Hattiesburg will require me to miss the Bayou Classic. In honor of DJ Jubilee, I'm going with Grambling in a clean sweep over Southern. The Tigers will win the game and the battle of the bands. Ya heard me.

I will make my last trip of the year to Hattiesburg Saturday evening. The Golden Eagles will take on the Thundering Herd of Marshall. This game is big for both teams. If Marshall wins, they will be come bowl eligible. If Southern Miss wins, USM will win the Eastern division of C-USA and play in the championship game on Dec 1 in Houston.

This game will be a war, with lots of big plays and hard hits. With a big, loud crowd at the Rock it will be hard for Marshall to win. Unless the Herd brings Jesco White, the Golden Eagles will win 27-24.