Now On Twitter @MEM_Lagniappe

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Weekend Wrap Up: Happy Hour, Golf, Downtown Afternoon, and Football

My Labor Day weekend kicked off on Thursday night at a happy hour gathering at the Fox & Hound on Sanderlin. We had a good turnout that enjoyed beverages, snacks and college football. I had several Colorado Kool-Aids and some billiard sticks. Good stuff!!! The next happy hour gathering should be September 14th. Check out this site for details. I went home early, because I was playing golf on Friday morning.

We arrived at Big Creek in Millington for our 10am tee time and played a quick round of golf. I was crappy as usual, but I was happy to bust out my $12 driver that I bought on eBay. For $12 I couldn't complain. For what its worth, my tee shots were straighter and longer, but my iron play and putting were piss-poor at best.

After golf we made our way to Downtown Memphis for lunch and cocktails. For lunch, we went to South Philly. South Philly specializes in cheese steaks , so I went with their special of the day, a triple cheese steak. It had American, provolone and cheese whiz on it. It came with chips and a drink for $8, not a bad deal. The best deal at South Philly is their all day - everyday beer special, 2 to 1 beers. We would have had several beers, but there was no one in the restaurant but us and the employees. So we headed to the Flying Saucer.

The Saucer was sort of busy, but it could have used a few more people. I had several Shiner Bocks while we were there. The people watching was great, especially with the American Idol auditions being in towns. We saw several interesting Idol people. We were hoping more people would be out for the holiday weekend, but we were wrong.

Saturday and Sunday were pretty much dedicated to college football. Unfortunately, most of the games were blowouts, including my Golden Eagles loss to the Gators.

I did manage to escape football for a few brief moments. Saturday night we went to Golden India for dinner. I had the Tandoori Mixed Grill, a wonderful sampler of tandoori-style lamb, chicken, shrimp and beef. We had wine with dinner and at Bari after, but I couldn't tell you much about it. All of my beer drinking during the day had made my taste buds worthless.

After a lazy Labor Day, I'm plugging and chugging waiting for the new weekend.

Southern Miss over the hapless Lions of SLU 45 - 10.