Now On Twitter @MEM_Lagniappe

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Last Friday: South Main to Overton Square

One of the more underrated activities in Memphis is the South Main Art Trolley Tour. A majority of the galleries and businesses on South Main basically have an open house. We went door to door exploring galleries, shops and condo developments. Each location has complimentary adult beverages and snack. There was lots of people watching and free beverages...what's not to like?

Thanks to NL, I had the opportunity to meet George Hunt outside one of the galleries. Mr. Hunt is a Louisiana native and is considered America's foremost blues artist. His work goes well beyond making music-inspired pictures. He is a super nice guy and agreed to sign my 2005 Congo Square print of the late "Gatemouth" Brown. That pretty much made my night. Now I need to find a time to get down there and have him sign it.

After the Tour, we went to Le Chardonnay for more cocktails and snacks. Everyone seemed to enjoy the food, but as usual I was busy with the wine. We had a couple of bottles of 2004 La Crema Pinot Noir. As expected, La Crema has done wonderful job with this vintage. The wine had cherry and plum flavors with balanced tannins. I need to keep some of this at my house.

Looking forward to a low-key Saturday night.