Now On Twitter @MEM_Lagniappe

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Weekend Wrap Up: Thai Food + Irish Pub = Saturday Hangover

On Friday night I joined a group of friends at Bhan Thai for dinner and drinks. I've been to Bhan Thai a couple of times, but never had the opportunity to sit outside. They have a nice patio-style set up with umbrella covered tables and an outside bar. To beat the heat, they also have large fans circulating cool air.

We claimed our table and enjoyed the Thai food and several bottles of 2004 Lockwood Sauvignon Blanc (Monterey). The dry wine had flavors of apricot and apples and came at reasonable price ($25). I had the spicey basil chicken. The wine nicely complimented the blend of vegetables, chicken and spices.

This was supposed to be a low-key night, but that quickly changed when we headed over to Celtic Crossing. We were hoping to enjoy the outside seating, but several other people had the same idea, so we claimed our spot at the bar. After a while the inside became just as crowded with patrons.

When it first opened last year, I had my doubts about an Irish pub in the Cooper-Young area, but every time I go the place it's packed. It has replaced the Blue Monkey as my favorite bar in Mid-town.

Later, we decided to participate in Celtic's Friday night trivia contest. 10 questions with the winner getting a bar gift card. We answered all of the questions correctly and finished tied for 1st place. Our reward a $25 gift card. It will come in handy later this summer.

Throughout the night I consumed too many Ketel and tonics, which for some reason go down like water. The end result was a not so pleasant hangover Saturday morning. This dictated my activities for the remainder of the weekend...rest and relaxation.

Why are weekends so short?