Now On Twitter @MEM_Lagniappe

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Italian Night, Flying Fish and Thursday Happy Hour

Last night I had some friends over for dinner. I prepared my own version of Baked Ziti with beef and hot Italian sausage. My friends contributed several courses, including bruschetta, a wonderful romaine and flash fried gorgonzola salad and cannoli for dessert. NL chipped in a bottle of 2004 Benton Lane Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley).

Over all the meal went very well. For me, the surprise of the night was the cannoli. Good stuff! The Pinot was light with raspberry and strawberry flavors with a slight peppery finish. At $22, I highly recommend it.

In other news, it has been confirmed that the owners of the Flying Saucer will open a Flying Fish restaurant later this year near the Downtown Saucer location. I’ve been to the Fish location in Little Rock left quite pleased.

Memphis Happy Hour Search Update

Some friends and I were talking this weekend about the serious absence of a scheduled happy hour. So here is what we are thinking...

1. Start easy, once a month (the second Thursday of each month)
2. Pick a location in East Memphis for easy access
a. We will try a new place each month
b. or we can find a favorite and stick to it
3. Get the word out and let it grow

With that being said here is this months plan:

• Brookhaven Pub
• Start showing up around 5:30
• Invite those that you think would enjoy

So now you have the word hope you can be there... also pass the word on!