Now On Twitter @MEM_Lagniappe

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Thursday Fun: River Oaks and Happy Hour

Thursday was a good day for me. Sure I had to go to work, but I had a free lunch and was able to help start what we hope becomes a monthly or bi-weekly happy hour group. Lets start with the free food.

A vendor treated myself and a co-worker to lunch at River Oaks on Poplar near I-240. Some might remember this location as the Cock-Eyed Camel, which is now located on Primacy Parkway. From the moment I walked in the restaurant I was impressed. A nice bar, great service and it was much bigger that I thought. There was nice wine display at the bar. I checked the wine list and can't wait to go back when I can have a drink.

I was the only person that didn't order the prime rib sandwich. Instead, I went with the kobe beef burger with white Vermont cheddar. It was seasoned just right and was served with parmesan french fries. It was good, but I'm not sure if I like paying $13 bucks for a burger (luckily I didn't have to). Belmont still has the best burger in Memphis.

After work I met some friends for happy hour. As previously posted, there seems to be a lack of a happy hour in East Memphis. So we started out own. We met up at the Brookhaven Pub and consumed adult beverages for a few hours. I didn't know how many people would show up, but was pleased with the turnout (15-20 people). Everyone seemed to have a good time and is looking forward to the next outing. Where should we do it next? The Bobcat?

Later in the evening we made our way to Grissanti's on Poplar for a nightcap. Like the last time I visited this Italian eatery, it was fairly slow at the bar. I'm thinking it will pick up once the rooftop season is over.