Now On Twitter @MEM_Lagniappe

Monday, August 28, 2006

Saturday Fun: Wine and Hot Dogs by Wanger

I went to a birthday party Saturday night for a close friend in Midtown. On the menu, endless drinks and hot dogs. This was a tough call for me...grilled hot dogs or Kenny Loggins?

Before going to the party I had a few friends over for cocktails. Suprisingly we all chose to go with white wine, so I opened a bottle of 2004 Hedges CMS White (Columbia Valley). Everyone seemed to enjoy the blend of chardonnay, sauvignon blanc and marsanne. I noticed pear and grapefruit flavors. It was a good wine and for $15, it was worth the price.

We made our way over to the Wanger party around 7:30, just in time for the first round of dogs to come off of the grill. Wanger did a great job on the grill. He offered beer soaked brats, Hebrew Nationals, Nathan's and chicken andouille. The glutton in me forced me to have everything but the brats.

There were several beverage options at the party, but I stuck with wine. I can't tell you how many wines were available, but I do remember at least one. The 2004 Groth Sauvignon Blanc (Napa) hit the spot with its grapefruit and lemon flavors.

After way too many glasses of wine, we went to Bari for a night cap. We all started out with martinis. Some had two and others three. I played it some what smart and had one plus a glass of wine.

All in all it was a good night.