Now On Twitter @MEM_Lagniappe

Monday, August 28, 2006

Thursday Night: The Grove and Belmont

Thursday after work, I met a few people at The Grove Grill in East Memphis. The bar area was more crowded that unusual, especially for 8pm. We managed to find a space on the bar and ordered some drinks. NL had 2004 La Crema Pinot Noir. What can I say, she has good tastes.

I went with the 2003 Chateau Souverain Cabernet Sauvignon (Alexander Valley). It was a supple wine with hints of plum, cedar and herbs. I liked it, but I'm not sure if it was worth $10 a glass.

After a while, our stomachs started craving food, so we tried to order a few appetizers. We were quickly informed that the kitchen closed at 9pm. No food for us.

I'm not sure if I've ever been to a restaurant with a kitchen closing before 10pm.

NL and I were still hungry, so we went to the Belmont Grill on Poplar. For the first time ever, I didn't get a burger. Instead, I ordered a chicken tenders basket. No rave reviews here, it tasted like chicken. We also ordered a sausage and cheese plate. I wasn't impressed with the sausauge, but there was a large portion of cheddar and swiss on the plate.

I knew Friday was going to be a long day, so I called it quits after finishing off the chicken basket.