Now On Twitter @MEM_Lagniappe

Monday, August 14, 2006

Saturday and Sunday Wrap Up:Soul Fish, Bryant's and Lawn Care

For the most part, my weekend was very low key with lots of laundry and relaxation. However, I did manage to get out a little. On Saturday night, I made my first trip to Soul Fish in the Cooper-Young area. This is basically a high end (in appearance only) catfish house in Midtown Memphis. Menu items included salads, po-boys, catfish (fried and blackened) and smoked chicken. Everything seemed to be reasonably priced (under $10), so I was happy. Not being a fish fan, I went with the smoked chicken. For $8.95, I couldn't complain. The half chicken was served with mashed potatoes and corn bread. The sides were okay, but the tender chicken kept my stomach pleased. NL had the small catfish platter. For $6.95, she got 3 good-sized catfish filets, fries, hush puppies and cole slaw. She said the fish was good. I'll have to take her word on it. Soul Fish also serves beer and wine. Neither one of us was in a drinking mood, so we opted for the sweet tea.

Our weekend snacking continued Sunday morning at Bryant's on Summer. This country style eatery is an underrated Memphis favorite. We both had the breakfast special: two eggs cooked to order, grits, 3 buscuits, gravy and your choice of ham, sausage or bacon. All this for $5 each. What a deal! I'm not sure if I could eat this all the time. The food was good, but very heavy.

Later in the day, I borrowed NL's lawn mower and mowed my lawn for this first time this season. No, the weeds weren't above my head. I've been using a mowing service this year, since my mower was stolen last fall. After shelling out several bucks every couple of weeks, I decided to do it myself. Sure it was hot, but I realized that I actually like getting out on my lawn for thirty minutes or so. Its like a stress reliever. Go figure!